Black Forest Games isn’t your typical start-up company. Founded in 2012, Black Forest Games employs a team of 40 highly experienced international talents that can look back at a long track record of published games from a wide range of genres.
Based on the legacy of Spellbound Entertainment, which has been one of Germany’s longest existing independent developers, Black Forest Games employs most of the Spellbound team.
Black Forest Games’ strategy is to balance work-for-hire and self-published titles. Our goal is to strengthen our own IPs and to establish long-term partnerships with publishers.
All of our products are focused on high visual quality and technical excellence. Team-wise we will keep hiring international talents. The vision is to be one of the most-wanted independent studios.
That’s why we are always looking for talented people with heart and passion. Feel free to browse through our available openings on this page. If you don’t find a fitting job advertisement, we’re looking forward to your unsolicited application.
What’s life @ Black Forest Games like?
- Working on big projects and titles
- Different talents mingle and share their ideas
- Our corporate language is English
- Our team comprised of international talents
- Fun is an important part of the work
What else do we offer?
- 28 days personal holidays
- All benefits of the German Public Healthcare system
- Competitive salary based on experience and responsibilities
- Career Development
- Work-Life Balance
What are we looking for?
- Teamplayers and communicators
- Readiness of mind
- Willingness to relocate
- Good written and verbal knowledge of the English language
Below you’ll find our current job openings. If we haven’t listed your job profile below, remind us that there is someone we desperately need. Use the form at the end of this page to send in your resume.
We are looking for a lead/senior character artist to work on an AAA open world title for a big publisher. You will create impressive high quality characters, lead a team of character artists and manage outsourcing of characters. You would be part of our 3d art-team, reporting directly to our technical art director and work in close collaboration with our creative director and concept artists.
What you’ll do:
- Manage outsourcing of characters, giving feedback and constraints to our outsourcing partners
- Lead and give feedback to a small team of character artists and establish a well working pipeline for character creation
- Character Sculpting, Lowpoly Modeling, Mapping, Texturing (PBR workflow)
- Character Prop/Equipment Sculpting, Modeling, Mapping, Texturing
- Collaborate with the concept art team in developing the look of the characters respecting specific technical constraints
What we need:
- Shipped at least 3 title as a character artist
- 6+ years’ experience at a game studio working as a senior character artist
- Team management experience, able to give feedbacks on respect of style/quality and technical constraints.
- Strong knowledge of human anatomy and the ability to demonstrate it through digital sculpting
- Strong ability to sculpt organic clothing on characters
- Strong hard surface modeling ability to create hard surface props on characters
- Strong grasp of topology and how it applies to animation for characters
- Proficient in the high poly, low poly baking workflow
- Proficient in creating efficient Mapping, minimizing seams and distortion
- Proficient organic and hard surface subdivision surface modeling
- Proficient in Zbrush ,3DS Max, Photoshop or such.
- Self-motivated, technical problem solver
What would be a nice to have (and a great plus):
- Experience with Quixel suite, Substance painter, Marvelous designer, Topogun.
- Character Skinning/rigging knowledge
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
We are currently looking for passionate gameplay programmers to work on high-quality character-based action-games for PC and console (current and next gen). We work with both an in-house engine as well as Unreal 4.
What you’ll do:
- Contribute to all aspects of gameplay programming from prototyping to final implementation
- Understand, improve and implement the game systems: gameplay features and game logic, character controls, AI, weapons, etc
- Define technical specifications for gameplay framework
- Work together with game design and animation departments to define and refine gameplay requirements
What we need:
- Good knowledge of C++
- 3 Years of professional experience and at least one completed game to work in game code
- Strong understanding of gameplay systems, including game logic, character animation, enemy AI, player controls, camera, physics and collision detection
- A good degree, not necessarily in computer science
- A passion for games and a good knowledge of recent action games (retail and digital download titles alike)
- Fluent English
What would be nice to have (and a huge plus):
- Console experience
- Rendering knowledge
- Unreal 4 experience
- Any projects/programs/assets you are particularly proud of
- Good understanding and practical experience of optimization
- Working knowledge of assembly languages (Intel, PowerPC, SIMD: SSE, MMX), HLSL, Cg, GLSL, CUDA
- Understanding of 3D rendering pipelines and lighting systems (forward & deferred rendering shading experience)
Can’t find anything suitable? You can still apply.
A speculative application is always welcome at BFG. Even if we aren’t currently offering any positions that tailor with your skills or requirements.
Your application will be treated in the strictest confidence. Please fill out the form below and let us hear from you.
Hey you! Yes! You! Interested in working with us at Black Forest Games? We love to hear from you, even if the job you’re looking for isn’t listed. Use the form below top send us your resume or write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.