We are currently looking for a Mission Designer to work on our upcoming projects with Unreal Engine 4. You will be responsible for all aspects of content creation, from the initial design phase, white boxing and first playable, through to the final polish phase. This role will have frequent communication and interaction with the lead level designer, lead game designer, environment artists and gameplay programmers.
- Preparing mission document drafts.
- Designing, prototyping, iterating on and polishing the in-game part of the open world including missions, enemy encounters, and other gameplay elements, using the Unreal Engine 4 tools and blueprint system.
- Collaborating with game designers to ensure that the level design contributes to and enhances the gameplay.
- Collaborating with environment artists on crafting spaces where gameplay flow and visual composition form memorable experiences.
- Collaborating with narrative designers to provide unique and immersive gaming experiences
- Conducting play-testing sessions and gathering feedback and action points to refine the levels and gameplay. Taking part in other play-testing sessions, providing feedback and suggestions to help fine tune and improve the game.
Reporting directly to the lead mission designer
- 2+ years’ experience at a game studio working as a level designer or mission designer.
- Experience with 3D engine game editors.
- Experience with open world games.
- Ability to design missions – from the concept phase to polish and debug – through an iterative process based on play tests feedback
- Excellent communication skills & proven ability to work within a team.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 tools and blueprint system.
- Ability to create map layouts at all stages – from simple drawings to fully functional world locations in at least one of the existing game engines.
- Shipped at least 1 title as a level designer.
Examples of previous work done are appreciated.
We are currently looking for a multi-talented UI Programmer to implement rich, interactive user interfaces, menus and heads-up displays for our upcoming high-quality projects with Unreal Engine. The right candidate needs to be proficient with user experience flows, good interface practices, and UMG implementation with clean code.
- Implement UI related functionality: in-game menus, start screens, interactive and animated HUD elements, leaderboards and the like
- Work closely with Creative Directors, Game Designers, and UI Artists, make sure interfaces are matching the established game style, ensure high standards of ergonomics and user-friendliness for our interfaces with clean, maintainable and scalable code
- Make the player experience as comfortable and intuitive as possible, and work with other stakeholders to react to feedback from QA, designers, focus-test groups and usability studies
- Work on game responsiveness optimization and the minimization of delays of any kind
- 3 – 5 years of experience as an interface programmer in the games industry
- BSc in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent industry experience
- Shipped at least 1 PC / Console title from conception to completion
- Solid understanding of UMG workflow, including console platform flow
- C++ knowledge and the ability to implement engine-side UI functionality/external calls
- Knowledge of the modern games UI design approaches, including console titles
- Familiarity with standard art tools like Photoshop and Illustrator
- Self-sufficient starter mentality and ownership of the UI features
- Creative and flexible mindset to improve processes and to overcome constraints
- Fluent in English
Not required, but a huge plus:
- Scaleform knowledge: basic scripting, calls to external targets, etc.
- Ability to draft UX flows and implement 2D Art for interfaces
- C#, Lua or any other industry standard scripting languages
- Experience with interface design in a general sense, being able to provide input on controller layout, modality issues, accordance between input and actions on screen
- Understanding of a screen layout, screen readability, screen estate, a good feel for typography and iconography
- Good knowledge of the color theory and graphic design principles
- Knowledge of TRC and XR requirements
- Experience with Openworld-games
- Skype interview (case-by-case)
- Test-Task (ca. 8 hours, can be spread on two/three days, we will look more at the approach than at the result)*
- Ideally on-site interview if possible + presentation of previous work
Hey you! Yes! You! Interested in joining the team at Black Forest Games? We are always looking for talent, and we’d love to hear from you, even if the position you’re interested in isn’t listed. Send us your resume with your portfolio and CV to email@example.com.