We are currently looking for a multi-talented UI Programmer to implement rich, interactive user interfaces, menus and heads-up displays for our upcoming high-quality projects with Unreal Engine. The right candidate needs to be proficient with user experience flows, good interface practices, and UMG implementation with clean code.
- Implement UI related functionality: in-game menus, start screens, interactive and animated HUD elements, leaderboards and the like
- Work closely with Creative Directors, Game Designers, and UI Artists, make sure interfaces are matching the established game style, ensure high standards of ergonomics and user-friendliness for our interfaces with clean, maintainable and scalable code
- Make the player experience as comfortable and intuitive as possible, and work with other stakeholders to react to feedback from QA, designers, focus-test groups and usability studies
- Work on game responsiveness optimization and the minimization of delays of any kind
- 3 – 5 years of experience as an interface programmer in the games industry
- BSc in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent industry experience
- Shipped at least 1 PC / Console title from conception to completion
- Solid understanding of UMG workflow, including console platform flow
- C++ knowledge and the ability to implement engine-side UI functionality/external calls
- Knowledge of the modern games UI design approaches, including console titles
- Familiarity with standard art tools like Photoshop and Illustrator
- Self-sufficient starter mentality and ownership of the UI features
- Creative and flexible mindset to improve processes and to overcome constraints
- Fluent in English
Not required, but a huge plus:
- Scaleform knowledge: basic scripting, calls to external targets, etc.
- Ability to draft UX flows and implement 2D Art for interfaces
- C#, Lua or any other industry standard scripting languages
- Experience with interface design in a general sense, being able to provide input on controller layout, modality issues, accordance between input and actions on screen
- Understanding of a screen layout, screen readability, screen estate, a good feel for typography and iconography
- Good knowledge of the color theory and graphic design principles
- Knowledge of TRC and XR requirements
- Experience with Openworld-games
- Skype interview (case-by-case)
- Test-Task (ca. 8 hours, can be spread on two/three days, we will look more at the approach than at the result)*
- Ideally on-site interview if possible + presentation of previous work
We are looking for an enthusiastic, technically skilled and creative designer to drive user interface design excellence and elegant user experience & interactions design on our current and forthcoming titles with established and worldwide known IPs. Our ideal candidate is able to develop modern interfaces and usability flow for a console interface heavy game from the initial game design document phase all the way through to the final ergonomic, visually pixel-perfect, animated and splashy final game interfaces.
- Take responsibility for ergonomics, user-friendliness, controller/keyboard layout, solve modality issues and take care of game responses/minimization of delay
- Early design mock-ups and research
- Define screen logic: what happens when you press ‘that’ button, ensure the player experience is as intuitive as possible and prepare flow diagrams/screen logic hierarchy for programmers (UI engineers).
- Our ideal candidate would be able to create required art assets and animations/transitions/visual effects (Photoshop/Illustrator).
- Use authoring tool (Flash/Unreal UI Designer) to integrate all the graphic/audio/effect/fonts and animation that will be used in the interface as well as define interactions and screen logic using ActionScript/Blueprint.
- Research to keep up to date with usability standards for the comparable PC and console titles, research new techniques, tools and trends.
- Fluent English
- A degree in Graphic Design or related fields
- Proficiency with design tools: Photoshop / Illustrator
- Proficiency with authoring tools: Scaleform (incl. Action Script) and/or UMG UI Designer
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in UX/UI design (PC/console games, mobile and web apps)
- Knowledge of the modern console games UI design approaches
- Strong understanding of page and screen layout, typography, icon design and screen readability
- Proven success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Communication skills, the ability to present the team your design ideas and the rationale behind
- Proactive, intellectually curious, and possesses the passion to figure things out through research and learning
- Experience on a shipped console title in the recent past (Xbox One/PS4)
- Experience on a multiplayer title
We would like to see your portfolio (assessment).
We are currently looking for a Lead 3D Artist to work on our upcoming high quality projects with Unreal Engine. He will lead a team of 3D artists and two outsourcing managers who are managing external teams. The candidate would be part of our art team, reporting directly to our technical art director.
Important for this key role is always having an understanding of the vision for the whole game and the capability to communicate it and control the execution.
- Manage 3D asset production from our internal team (props/vehicles/weapons/buildings…), giving visual feedback and validating also technical aspects.
- Manage outsourcing managers taking care of work done by external studios, and make sure that style/quality/technical requirements are on par with the work done internally.
- Communicate/coordinate with other department leads, define priorities and make sure that dependencies with other departments are considered.
- You must have a good and clear vision of all the work which needs to be achieved in the 3d department for the whole game, and plan and prioritize accordingly, not only think about daily feedback sessions with your team.
- Maintain and improve assets creation workflow by always researching new tools/technologies/ways of working having the potential of increasing quality and efficiency.
Reporting directly to the technical art director
- Shipped at least 1 title as a lead 3d artist + shipped 3 or more games as 3d artist.
- 5+ years’ experience at a game studio working as a senior 3d artist.
- Team management experience, able to give feedbacks on respect of style/quality and technical constraints.
- Able to work on different visual styles, from realistic to stylized.
- Strong knowledge of technical constraints related to 3d real time engines.
- Strong hard surface modeling, ability to create hard surface props.
- Strong ability to sculpt organic shapes.
- Proficient in the high poly, low poly baking workflow
- Proficient in creating efficient Mapping, minimizing seams and distortion
- Proficient in Zbrush, 3DS Max, Substance Painter, Photoshop.
- Self-motivated, technical problem solver.
- Experience with Substance designer, World machine, Marvelous designer, Speedtree.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4.
- Having notions of lighting.
- Having worked on Xbox and PlayStation games before, not only PC.
We would like to see your portfolio (assessment).
Hey you! Yes! You! Interested in joining the team at Black Forest Games? We are always looking for talent, and we’d love to hear from you, even if the position you’re interested in isn’t listed. Send us your resume with your portfolio and CV to email@example.com.